Monday, June 8, 2020

Visiting an old book friend

The CarpetbaggersThe Carpetbaggers by Harold Robbins
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

This book first hit the best seller list in 1961 when I was a 14 year old boy with raging hormones and much curiosity. The adults in my family whispered about it and passed it around - but not to me because I was just a boy and too young to know about many of the facts of life. (I didn't think so but had no say in the matter.) My interest in the book soon faded.

In 1966, Steve McQueen starred in Nevada Smith based on the character from The Carpetbaggers and my interest was rekindled.

WOW! This book had it all, sex, lust, power, love, power, hate and life all wrapped in a riveting tale of Jonas Cord (supposedly based on Howard Hughes). I couldn't put it down - I read it on a weekend all 673 small print paperback pages.

The Carpetbaggers is a raw tale of life staged in the high speed world of the rich and famous in the first half of the 20th century. If you enjoy novels about real life, you must read this one.

It is a love or hate kind of book, I read it about once a decade.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please post civil your comments here, I would love to know what you think.

"The Meaning of July Fourth for the Negro"

  by Frederick Douglass Fellow Citizens, I am not wanting in respect for the fathers of this republic. The signers of the Declaration...